I’m Tara, the book editor and work-from-home specialist behind tarawhitaker.com.
I imagine you’d like to know a little bit about me since you’ve navigated to my About page, so here’s a brief timeline of how I got to where I am today.
2008: Graduated college with a degree in marketing and a minor in special event planning. Started my first job in downtown Chicago as an event planner.
2009: Put in charge of updating the website for the association I worked for and fell in love with it.
2010: Started a new job as a content coordinator for a luxury hotel chain.
2012: Promoted to content manager and started to realize you can only write “discerning traveler” so many times before wanting to puke.
2013-now: Ventured out on my own as a freelance writer and editor.
2014-2015: Worked as a managing editor for a digital publishing company.
2016-2018: Managed blog, email, and course content for a multimillion-dollar entrepreneur.
2017-2018: Did freelance copyediting and proofreading for a major publishing house.
2019-now: Started freelancing for another publishing house.
2019: Created tarawhitaker.com.
And here we are!
My journey might seem a bit all over the place, but there are actually a few key attributes that have always stayed consistent. Things like:
- A crazy attention to detail
- Knowing how to stay organized
- Being able to handle multiple projects at once
- Creating plans and strategies to be as effective and productive as possible
Those skills have served me well in my life and business, and now I want to share what I’ve learned with people like you who want to create a work-from-home business.
I can help you elevate your editing skills, start your work-from-home business, and improve your mindset, all while reducing the stress and overwhelm in your life.
The best part? I don’t believe these things have to be a huge undertaking requiring large blocks of time. I don’t have eight straight hours to dedicate to anything, and I don’t expect you do either.
That’s why I break down my strategies into small, manageable chunks you can implement quickly and easily. The key to success is consistent action, no matter how big or small the implementation.
I guide you through these strategies in a variety of ways so you can choose your own adventure:
- The How to Start a Freelance Editing Business Quickstart Guide is the perfect place to begin your work-from-home journey. It’s a step-by-step checklist of everything you need to do to get your editing business off the ground.
- Elevate Your Editing is the ultimate resource guide for aspiring editors. It’s filled with over 300 words I’ve personally seen misspelled and misused in my own editing work. You can start building your word skills while creating your business!
- My weekly email newsletter helps you stay on track with editing + business tips and advice.
- My blog posts dive deeper into editing, organizing, productivity, and mindset principles.
- My social media posts on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest give more tips and tricks plus some fun shenanigans social media is known for.
If you’re ready to become your own boss and make money doing what you love, grab a glass of your favorite beverage and let’s get started!