When you become a freelance editor, it can be hard to squeeze in nonwork reading time. It’s difficult to find the time when you no longer have a commute (if you’re working from home).
Also, when you’re reading all day for work, sometimes you don’t want to read for fun.
I’ll be honest… After I started freelance editing full-time, it took me a while to get back into reading for fun. I had to make a conscious effort to fit it into my routine, but I also didn’t force it when I just didn’t feel like it. You might experience the same thing — and that’s OK!
But if you *do* want to read for fun, here are some tips on how to make it happen.
Listen to audiobooks
It might not be the same as reading a physical book, but you’ll still get in plenty of reading time — and be able to multitask while you do it.
- Buy a Bluetooth speaker (this is the one I have) and listen in the shower or when you’re getting ready for the day/ready for bed
- Listen in the car while running errands or while you’re waiting in the school pickup and drop-off line
- Multitask and turn on an audiobook while you’re cleaning or doing chores around the house or yard work outside
- Stick in your AirPods and listen to a book while you’re crafting, doing a puzzle, or even coloring with your kids
You might have been able to read for hours at a time before you became a copyeditor and began reading for your job, so I understand how hard it can be to find additional time to read. But finding more time doesn’t mean you need a lot of it.
- Set your alarm 10 or 15 minutes earlier and read right when you wake up in the morning
- Schedule in 15 minutes before or after work to catch up on a book before other things become a priority
- Instead of scrolling social media at lunch, spend time reading instead
- Read for 10 minutes right when you get into bed – According to a study from the University of Sussex, reading before bed can actually help you combat insomnia!
Just because you read and edit for a living doesn’t mean you can’t find more time to read because you love it! Make the time to get more reading in today!